Port Bolivar is a community at the western tip of Bolivar Peninsula, a short ferry ride across the body of water known as Bolivar Roads from Galveston Island and the city of Galveston, in Galveston County. The free Ferry service is provided by the Texas Department of Transportation between Port Bolivar and Galveston.
There is one school, Crenshaw Elementary and Middle School, in the area. It is operated by Galveston Independent School District. Port Bolivar students attend Ball High School in Galveston for high school. Galveston College also serves Port Bolivar. The United States Postal Service operates the Port Bolivar Post Office at 2500 Broadway Avenue, 77650-0736.Several new resort developments are already in place now and connected to the new sewer system including Laguna Harbor on the bayside and The Biscayne on the oceanfront.
Port Bolivar’s bayfront properties are the closest deep-water channels to the Gulf of Mexico providing yacht owners easy and quick access to the ocean. The sun sets on the bayside making it the envy of many other coastlines. Beautiful and peaceful tranquility is found in the quiet decks of many homes overlooking the bay and intracoastal waterway traffic.
Port Bolivar is truly a wonderful place to relocate to and live out your dreams. Port Bolivar is considered by many to be the last affordable section of the United States coastline in a warm weather climate.
- Bolivar Lighthouse
Port Bolivar is a tributary community and home to the historic Bolivar Lighthouse, which once guided ships entering Galveston Bay. The lighthouse was built in 1872. It served for 61 years before being retired in 1933.
- Fort Travis Seashore Park
Fort Travis is on the western end of Bolivar Peninsula close to the ferry landing and includes the seawall, broad grassy areas, oleanders, winding roads, well equipped playgrounds, picnic tables and bar-b-que grills. The 60-acre park still has battery sites. It also has picnic areas, cabanas, and campsite rentals. It’s part of the Galveston County Beach Park Board.
- The North Jetty
The North Jetty, at the southwestern end of the peninsula, is one of twin restraining walls built into the Gulf of Mexico to provide a deep-water channel to Galveston. The South Jetty extends into the Gulf from Galveston Island. Work on the jetties began as a construction experiment in 1874, and the major portion was completed only after Congress appropriated funds for the work in 1890. Completion of the system in 1898 made Galveston a deep-sea port for world commerce. The jetties now protect shipping to various cities along the Houston Ship Channel and are used as fishing spots by many sportsmen.