Typical Property Management Services on the Texas Coast
Market the property for vacation rentals or long-term tenants
- Prepare home for each rental
- Check-in and check-out procedures
- Clean home and optimize interior appeal
- Manicure landscaping to increase curb appeal
- Create ads tailored to the property and advertising medium
- Advertising mediums include:
- Popular listing sites like AIRBNB & VRBO
- Print publications, signs, and brochures
- Realtor MLS syndication
- Dynamic price change management
Work with other agents to find renters and tenants
- Provide a 24-hour hot-line for prospective tenants about the property
- Handle calls from prospects for questions and viewings
- Provide prospective tenants with applications that are legally compliant with fair housing laws
- Collection applications, tenant screening and selection
- Perform a background check to verify identity, income, credit history, rental history, etc.
- Grade prospective tenants according to pre-defined criteria
Financial and Legal
- Provide accounting property management services
- Make payments on behalf of the owner for mortgage, insurance, HOA dues, etc.
- Detailed documentation of expenses via invoices and receipts
- Maintain all historical records (paid invoices, leases, inspection reports, warranties, etc.)
- Provide annual reporting, structured for tax purposes as well as required tax documents including a 1099 form, and advise owner on relevant tax deductions related to their rental property
- Provide easy to read monthly cash-flow statements which offer a detailed breakdown of income and itemized expenses
- Advise in the event of a legal dispute or litigation, and refer owner to a qualified attorney when necessary
- Understand and abide by the latest local and state laws that apply to renting and maintaining rental properties
- Perform periodic inspections on a predefined schedule looking for repair needs, safety hazards, code violations, lease violations, etc.
- Send owner periodic reports on the condition of the property
Maintenance, Repairs, and Remodeling
- Provide and oversee an in-house maintenance crew
- Establish a preventative maintenance policy to identify and deal with repair needs
- Provide a network of licensed, bonded and fully insured contractors vetted for price and work that is up to code
- Assign jobs to different parties (employees, handyman and contractors) based on value.
- Maintain outdoor areas
- Removing trash and debris
- Maintain and monitor a 24-hour emergency repair hot-line
- Larger renovation or rehab projects
- Provide recommendations on how the project can maximize rental income.
- Prepare preliminary cost estimates
- Get multiple independent bids for the work
- Act as general contractor overseeing the work
For long term rentals
Tenant Move In
- Draw up leasing agreement, and confirm move in date with tenant
- Review lease guidelines with tenant regarding things like rental payment terms and required property maintenance
- Ensure all agreements have been properly executed
- Perform detailed move in inspection with tenant and verify condition of property prior to move-in.
- Collect first month’s rent and security deposit
- Rent collection, receiving rent, getting overdue payments
- Sending out pay or quit notices, enforcing late fees, and evictions
Tenant Move Out
- Inspect unit and fill out a report on the property’s condition when the client moves out
- Provide tenant with a copy as well as estimated damages
- Return the balance of the security deposit to the tenant
- Forward any portion of the owner’s portion of the tenant deposit to the owner or hold in owner reserves for repairs.
- Clean unit and perform and needed repairs or upgrades, and Re-key the locks
- Put the property back on the market for rent
Want to do it yourself?
Get this book How to Set Up and Run a Successful Airbnb Business
Leave a Reply
You must Register or Login to post a comment.
Become a registered member, it is fast, fun, and free! Gain access to sales analysis, conversations, and much more! Texas state law requires membership before we can share sales information or talk about subjects relevant to ownership. See our membership page for more details.